chrismweb

Hey Nate, just wanted to know if you develop in Eclipse or a different IDE.

I'm stuck one of those "random linking errors that only appears in android 2.3" yet again (sometimes just copying everything from one project into a new one fixes it), but wasn't sure if a different IDE would be less frustrating/ faster to develop in.
chrismweb

Nate

Yes, just Eclipse. It isn't Eclipse's fault that Google's Android plugin is so terrible. There are bugs like it not rebuilding if you change project settings, so you need to edit any file, save, then it will rebuild. Nasty. Be sure to check all your JARs and projects on the "order and export" tab.

For the most part, with libgdx, you can develop completely on the desktop and only need the Android junk to test on the phone. On the desktop you get hot swapping, where changed code is updated in the running application. Fewer app restarts saves a lot of time over the life of a project. If your development cycle uses save, compile, deploy to phone, test then you're doing it very wrong. :)
Nate

Nate

chrismweb

Thanks, just curious! Have you tried intelliJ/Netbeans for LibGDX?

Yeah, I test 99% of the time on Java/PC (because it's a lot faster), except for Android only stuff (Google Play services, bluetooth, wifi, ect).

There's just a bug on Android 2.3 for my game- saying package file is invalid when downloading from the market (but wasn't before AFAIK). Works for all newer Android versions.

But eclipse likes to "pretend" a lot for me (or maybe it's Android). Right now it's pretending to compile a lot- I'll setup a fresh libgdx project the old way, with gradle, ect, make sure it compiles on 2.3, even change text, save, remove changes, save, compile. Runs fine- don't change anything, and try again later, and no longer installs (switches between "UnsatisfiedLinkError: Couldn't load gdx: findLibrary returned null", and a dexopt error).

So thinking of just switching to intelliJ if I can't be certain whether it is actually updating/recompiling/deploying (for this bug, normally no problems, it just suddenly hates Android 2.3 now, but 11% of my users use it).

But I'm also using the version from Google combined with ADT (was using them separate before, but started getting random errors, couldn't solve them, finally re-installed everything and found just using a new eclipse install removed all the errors -_- )
chrismweb

Nate

Other IDEs are junk. Don't know if the ADT stuff works any better. I also have to use the Google bundled IDE as the ADT plugin is broken otherwise. :(
Nate

Nate

chrismweb

Cool, thanks!

Yeah, some days I just want to say "I quit, I'm just going to work in Unity from now on" ;)

I've never had a problem with the Java/PC version, it's always the android version giving me some obscure error that usually resolves after several days of no code changes. Can't find libgdx. Can't find this library, or that. When really it's something like google play services has been updated. I'm like "just give me an error message I can find an answer to, please!"

But I know you guys have had a lot worse working on LibGDX, and probably even all the run times for spine! I'd probably have to practice meditation at that point ;)
chrismweb

Mitch

Yeah, some days I just want to say "I quit, I'm just going to work in Unity from now on" ;)
:rock:

You'll be among friends.
Mitch

Mitch

Вернуться в Off-topic