misaki_m

Hello,

I have a question about the limit number of skins.
I'm sorry if there is the information in Spine User's Guide, I want to know the actual number.
I will make many skins in only one skeleton, I think the total will be over 200 at least.
Is it possible?

Also, I have concerns about the performance when I edit the skeleton in Spine.
If the skeleton was including many image files, it will request long loading and exporting time?

If there is any solution, please let me know it.

Thanks in advance.
misaki_m

Erika

Hello Misaki, there is no hard limit on the number of skins, but if you are going to add over 200 of them, perhaps you can consider adding the recolors, or the ones that don't require custom mesh creation at runtime instead of into the Spine project.
I have seen other projects with hundreds of skins in Spine, and folders were a big help, as well as only doing one color in the editor and applying recolors via code.
I didn't notice a particular slow down in performance when handling such projects.
Erika

Erikari

Nate

The Spine editor can handle many skins (thousands), but do you really need to configure so many in the editor? You may save a lot of effort by assembling skins at runtime, as Erika mentioned. Docs here:
Runtime Skins - Spine Runtimes Guide
Nate

Nate

misaki_m

Dear Erika and Nate,

Sorry for my late reply, but Thank you for your quick response!
The experience that Erika told me is really helpful for me.

About the reason why I need to make many skins is there are many characters, and many clothes, and body directions.
I know the skins can assemble at runtime, but in my case, the character will flip in the game, and the flipping is not simply flipping.
I mean, I should make different skins for each direction, so the total of skins number is quite big.

However, the number of attachments for each direction is not so many(about 15-20 images) and not so complex.
I guess the particular slow down will not happen as Erika said.

This is my first time that making many characters with only one skeleton, so let me ask a question if there are any problems.
Thank you so much!
misaki_m

Erika

misaki_m писал(а):I should make different skins for each direction, so the total of skins number is quite big.
If you are going to make a skin for every direction, I assume you want to create new bones for the new direction, basically making this equal to creating a separate skeleton for the alternative direction, but more complicated.

If you want to have a character that truly holds all directions inside it and allows for parts to be interchangeable (for example having the head looking to the right and left while the body looks in just one direction) then you could possibly want to do something similar to this character:
Spine: Twitch: video SS5JGbD5BJY

Usually the logic to divide the pieces is this:
- in slots go all the parts of the body. e.g. "Head"
- in the attachments we find the parts of the body in different states or direction. e.g. "Head-front" "Head-front-hurt" "Head-side"
- in skins go all the clothing and cosmetics, e. g. Skin: "Red", Skin placeholder: "Head-red-front" "Head-red-front-hurt" "Head-red-side"

I am curious though, what were the considerations that made you choose skins to hold directions instead? Isn't it a problem that a direction cannot be keyed?
Erika

Erikari

misaki_m

Well.. I'm sorry for confusing you X(
What you are imagining is a bit far from this case.

I'll make many asymmetric Chibi characters, like the following:

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/832040099894073907/?nic_v1=1auX9Ix6CvyDCqKykpbaRcKDmPrxYN5dYoph%2FDwU9%2Bjiok60DDtNbv1M%2FEz%2Bsb%2BmZl

I can't flip simply it due to the design rule.
For example, some characters wearing T-shirts with logo, and the logo can't flip if the body was flipped.
Since I have to conform it, I made skins of the T-shirts with flipped logo.
If the character was flipped on the game, the skin will be changed by script.

>Isn't it a problem that a direction cannot be keyed?

Instead of keying the visible attachments, I use event!
If I want to change the direction in the middle of an animation, I keyed the changing skin event, and it will work on Unity.

Either way, it is a bit bothered because I can't confirm the result with only Spine...
However, thanks to events, there is no necessity for keying many attachements visibility :D

Does my answer make sense?
misaki_m

Erika

I see, I think I would have created an animation where the container for the character is flipped and rearranged the asymmetrical parts, and theyn I would have applied this animation on a track along the others to have a flipped mix. But I guess this can work as well.
I'm sure if it's you, it's going to work well in any case! :D
Erika

Erikari

Вернуться в Editor